XLS+ Some Initial Observations

Citation XLS+ Extrene G3 Support Forum
MCarter

XLS+ Some Initial Observations

Post by MCarter » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 am

Hi,

First of all, I want to say congrats on this aircraft. It looks amazing, sounds amazing and with a few tweaks it can surely be a top contender.

Here are some of the things I've observed.

1. Lack of a 2D FMS unit.
2. Lack of ability to speed up the heading and course knob selector
3. The F.O BARO and push to select knobs for the Proline menu doesn't work
4. It would be nice to add throttle support for keyboard users (Perhaps using F4 and F1 to go to various detents and the F2 and F3 key to allow for gradual movement of the throttles.
5. The cockpit window reflection in the VC can at times blur the view outside
6. I've encountered an error message with the FMS which I took a screenshot of. It occurred after entering the POS waypoint as seen in the screenshot.

7. Oxygen test listed in the checklist but this feature doesn't seem to be available on the actual oxygen unit.
8. Yoke clickspots for autopilot disconnect does not work.
9. In VNAV mode, the magenta altitude on the PFD is a bit difficult to read

WarpD

Re: Some Initial Observations

Post by WarpD » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 am

1. There is not a 2D panel of any type provided with the exception of the cursor control panel. There are no plans to create any 2D panels. FMS input is supported via the keyboard by holding the TAB key while typing into the FMS scratch pad. This is only supported in the left-hand FMS.
2. Control input acceleration has been a problem in FS for years and years. Remember the "heading always increments in 10's" issues of the past where you had to use a hack from FSUIPC to get it to STOP accelerating input? Not really wanting to either support THAT bug or make one of my own. That being said... I have a knob input that I use and it takes less than 10 seconds to change the heading value 180 degrees. Using the actual heading knob is taking 30 seconds. This will require further investigation as the sim certainly supports faster input.
3. Unaware of the issue (there are no F.O.'s :) ), will investigate.
4. There IS keyboard throttle support. F1 is idle. F4 is full throttle. The PgUp and PgDn inputs on the keypad are the increment and decrement (based on default FS key assignments). F2 is supported for reverse thrust. Note, they don't work as well as an actual throttle... nor will they ever.
5. Noted, though I have never had this issue myself.
6. Not enough information to pursue that one.
7. Public Service Announcement: There isn't an actual oxygen unit. We didn't include that. If you crash the aircraft, you don't die. We didn't include that. If you fail to comply with aviation regulations in any manner, you don't get in trouble. We didn't include that. There's no actual way to set the oxygen mask to 100% in the sim as you can't pick the oxygen mask up with your hands. You don't have any! It's all make believe. We didn't make the restroom functional either... just FYI. However, we DID provide actual checklists... apparently we made the wrong selections??
8. There are no yoke clickspots that I am aware of. Makes no sense to model something that would require you to STOP MOVING THE YOKE to utilize when you can just assign the autopilot disconnect to your controller, or press the 'Z' key (default sim assignment).
9. Understood. However, I can zoom the eyepoint in and read it; also I can pull up the zoomed PFD and read it.
Best Regards,
Ed Wilson [WarpD]

MCarter

Post by MCarter » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. On the Oxygen test, I was just comparing this to another product that give you the sound effect of performing the test. I know it's not life or death but these days simmers are nitpicky and I like to cover all the details as much as I can for a review. ;)

The lack of a 2D FMS isn't a deal breaker but I can see other asking about it since it's become common with most add-ons for convenience.

WarpD

Post by WarpD » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:42 pm

I have covered the oxygen issue completely. People should be thankful that crashing the aircraft in the sim doesn't kill them... after all... they want "as real as it gets"... right? :eye roll:

There is a feature of the aircraft that no one seems to have noticed. :)
Best Regards,
Ed Wilson [WarpD]

MCarter

Post by MCarter » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:17 pm

So far I’m loving the fact that there are circuit breakers!

MCarter

Post by MCarter » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Here are two more screenshots showing that at night time, some of the panel back lighting doesn't seem to work or show correctly.

FMS buttons not all illuminated

Some buttons not illuminate on the Captain's side (F.O's side is fine)

MCarter

Re: XLS+ Some Initial Observations

Post by MCarter » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:00 pm

A few more observations.

1. The tooltip on the switch for the strobe/beacon lights says "flap"
2. When in VOR mode, if the center of the autopilot CRS button is pushed, should this align the course with your current heading? If so, this doesn't seem to happen for me.
3. With regard to the throttle operation using the keyboard, it seems like the F1 key does not set the throttle to idle. I know that next to no one really uses the keyboard for throttles, but most add-on accommodate it quite nicely and I've only realized this after the throttle on my yoke stopped working one day. Not a deal breaker but just an observation.
4. On the PERF takeoff page, should it be possible to change the baro setting that is entered? If so, I am unable to do so.

Again, despite these items, I am absolutely loving this aircraft. ;)

WarpD

Post by WarpD » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:14 am

1 - Ok
2 - No, it should align with the bearing of the VOR.
3 - Ok
4 - Yes. Noted.
Best Regards,
Ed Wilson [WarpD]

MCarter

Post by MCarter » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Here is another observation.

The clickspot that removes the yoke doesn't work when the DAY/NIGHT light switch is turned on.

On a lesson serious note, the tail light could be improved slightly to be a bit brighter to as the light shines on the top section of the tail. While videos can be misleading (lighting and video quality), these videos show an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGiUOeK59KU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh6VmvaBO34
Currently the tail light effect seems a bit dim and it illuminates the the tail section equally.

WarpD

Post by WarpD » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:30 am

Are you talking about the tail's logo lighting?
Best Regards,
Ed Wilson [WarpD]